Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

"Cannot locate postscript driver" error in XP laptop with Distiller 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

denodave

MIS
Apr 16, 2002
US
This is a new Vaio laptop running XP Home and using Adobe Pagemaker 4.5 and Acrobat. We have Distiller 4.0 and 5.0 installed.

When trying to print in Pagemaker the error is "cannot locate postscript printer driver".
When trying to print in MS Word the error is "cannot locate Distiller printer driver".
When running Distiller the error is "postscript error: no pdf file produced".

We have tried installing a number of printers, including generic postscript. These errors all seem to be related, but what the devil is going on here??? Any ideas???

Email me! dsaunders114@yahoo.com
Real men pray...especially techies!

Thanks for the suggestion, tgreer. I don't know if that will work, but it sounds like it just might.

I didn't even know about the adobe knowledge base...DUUUHHH! Thanks for the help.

Email me! dsaunders114@yahoo.com
Real men pray...especially techies!

This is how I have overcome those pesky messages. I've used it on PCs with various configurations of Windows 2000 and XP, with Acrobat 4 and 6.

Start --> Settings --> Printers

Double-click "Add Printer"

Click Next in the Add Printer Wizard Window

Click ONLY "Local printer" leaving everything else unchecked

Under "Use the following port:" scroll down until you see the FILE: port, then highlight it --> Next

NOTE: If you do NOT see a FILE: port, Click "Create a new port:" and choose Local Port. Click Next and enter the port name "FILE:" all caps, with the colon. After a few seconds, you will be directed to the next window below.

It may sound crazy, but select the manufacturer and model of your printer to be "Apple" and "Apple LaserWriter II NTX v51.8" --> Next

"Keep existing driver" --> Next

Leave (or change) the default printer name and choose "Yes" for the default printer (optional) --> Next

"Do not share this printer" --> "No" to print test page --> Next --> Finish

You can double-check your work by going back to Start --> Settings --> Printers, right-click on "Apple LaserWriter II NTX v51.8" and choose Properties. Under the Ports tab, there should be a check mark next to "FILE: - Print to File - Apple LaserWriter II NTX v51.8."

Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back