Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

"Caller ID Inspect" feature ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrdom

MIS
Oct 5, 2005
US
Hi everyone - Just upgraded to r5.0 as a diy project ... worked very well!

I'm not sure if this is an available option on the UCx, and if it's not, maybe I can configure the set differently to do what I want to do.

We have a user who isn't part of the incoming calls group, but from time to time, they want to be able to answer incoming calls. I programmed a "pickup" button on their phone sets, which does the trick, but now they're asking if there's a way one can see the Caller ID before they press that pickup button. IE they would ignore the call if a telemarketer or other type of call.

On the old Norstars, there used to be a feature called "Caller ID inspect" where you could program a button to show the incoming caller id, before connecting the call to the set. Does the UCx have something like that? Could I configure this user's set differently to perhaps allow for this? I can't use DND because they need to be available for internal calls from within the building.

Thanks for any suggestions you might have!

-M

If I remember correctly, to see Caller ID on "the old Norstars", your set had to be configured as the CallerID set. On other sets, you had to use the "CallerID inspect" feature (I think it was F811 Call Info) to see CallerID of an alerting call. Now, the important thing is - the call had to be alerting on your set (visually or audibly). I am afraid that even Norstar did not provide a feature that would do what you are asking for (i.e., "I can hear some phone ringing somewhere nearby - let's see who is calling that phone").

Thanks UCXguy for posting. I did this before on the Norstars, but it's been so long - I might not be explaining correctly. I programmed the line buttons as "appear only", so there would be no audible ringing on the line, but you would still have line appearances (ringing, in use, etc.) If someone wanted to see who was calling, you could press the "caller id inspect" feature followed by the line that was blinking with the incoming call, and it would show the calling information on the display without connecting the call.

I'm not sure there's a way to do this on the UCx ... can we have a phone set as an alerting set with no ringing?

-M

You can add the non-ringing option (":N") to shared call appearances.

Thanks UCXguy - I think that will do the trick. I'll add the extension into the ring group. This is what we have right now for the Shared Call Appearance:

SCA:X@SCGUser (where X is the number of appearances we have)​

Where would the ":N" go in the sequence?

Thanks for the help ucxguy - I think this will work!

I finally got around to making this change on the UCx, and this is EXACTLY what I was looking for. Thanks for the great tip ucxguy! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back