Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

"call forward" creating a loop (ring-back) situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ARNOLD001

Technical User
Aug 29, 2001
I have an option 61 rls 21 switch. During the past few days, our Operators are receiving calls in which they could only hear "Dial Tone". Now I've heard that this is caused by a telephone set beign Forwarded to itself, creating a loop. Is there any way to find this set? I have traced the ring-back call, but all I get is a route and trunk member. Thaks in advance for any suggestions.

The problem described would not be caused by a phone being forwarded to itself as that condition will not cause a loop. Also, any condition creating a loop would be handled by the setting for the system's orbit timer. Any loop condition eventually times out based on the setting for the orbit timer. The caller gets reorder once the orbit timer expires. An example...the phone at x3000 is forwarded to x6000. If x6000 is forwarded to x3000, an infinte loop is created when someone dials x3000. The person who dialed 3000 will get reorder once the orbit timer expires (typically only a few milliseconds). Without the orbit timer, the infinite loop would eventually consume all of the system's memory, which would, in turn, cause the system to init.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back