Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

"c:\i386\autochk.exe application can not be run in winnt Mode"

Status
Not open for further replies.

GPK2526

IS-IT--Management
May 21, 2003
US
error message "c:\i386\autochk.exe application can not be run in winnt Mode" seen on startup.

This error message seen on a Windows NT 4.0 workstation after logging into a netware network with a novell client. The user clicks the OK button on the error message and workstation continues to boot, apparently the workstation functions properly after this point.

A search of the hard drive reveals 3 instances of autochk.exe in the following directories with the following filedates and sizes.

autochk.exe c:\i386 08/08/1996 6:30pm (373KB)
autochk.exe c:\sp4 10\15\1998 12:04pm (420KB)
autochk.exe c:\winnt\system32 04/29/1999 12:04pm (420KB)

Any input on how to fix this condition is much appricated.

I've never seen this error before, but autochk.exe should never be run from the i386 dirctory. You could try running chkdsk from a command prompt which may stop the error appearing in future.

John

Turns out user had a shortcut to a non-existent application in the the startup folder. I've been told if windowsNT finds an invalid program shortcut it somehow sets the target pathname within the shortcut to autochk.exe.

Solution: Remove the shortcut, and the message goes away.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back