Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

"BTMAGIC.IMG" request on boot-up driving me crazy! HELP!

Status
Not open for further replies.

posterperson

Technical User
Feb 11, 2002
CA
I uninstalled BOOTMAGIC. Now whenever I reboot it says it can't find BTMAGIC.IMG and I should press any key to continue!! Whaaaaa!!! Booo-hoooo!!! Please tell me what I need to do to experience an uninterrupted reboot again.THANKS IN ADVANCE! :)

Try running MSCONFIG and see if there is anything related to the BM program trying to run on startup.. Matt Wray
CCNA, MCP
mwray77518@yahoo.com

posterperson...

I HAVE NOT tried this myself..This was generated at Powerquest's site Search engine..Use at your own risk..

====================Excerpt from powerquest.com====================

If there is no disk compression, no Direct Drive Overlay (DDO), and no virus in the master boot record on your hard drive, perform the following:

1. Boot up with a Windows 98 boot diskette.

2. Make sure that you have a current backup of the data on your drive, and then run FDISK /MBR at the A:\ prompt.

NOTE: For more information on FDISK /MBR, please see PowerQuest Solution PR171, "What does FDISK /MBR do?"

3. Press Enter.

This removes the flag from the master boot record.

If the preceding solution does not solve the issue, perform the following:

1. Boot up with the BootMagic Rescue diskette.
2. At the A:\ prompt, type: wrprog /rst mbr.dat
3. Press Enter.

The master boot record will then be returned to the way it was before BootMagic was installed.

Problem Description:
Error finding BTMagic.img.....your problem
Error message displayed on boot up

Problem Environment:
BootMagic

Cause(s) of the problem
BootMagic is no longer installed on the system, but the flag in the master boot record still exists.
==========================================================

Good Luck

smitee

Thanks for your help....However, I do not have ANY boot disks of any type as my box of software was lost in a recent move. Is there a way to get into A:\ WITHOUT any boot disk so I can put in the command line suggested by PowerQuest? Thanks again in advance :)

u may be able to fool it but.

long term u need a win98 floppy boot disk

find a machine that will boot to 98 desktop and
go to control panel, add/remove programs,boot disk
there is one button there

put a formatted blank floppy in the a drive and hit that button,when it finishes restart the computer and it will go to an a prompt

:-Q x->

Thank you for all your suggestions. The solution I found was to re-install it and de-select in its configuration program.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back