Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

"An error occurred...

Status
Not open for further replies.

pawz

Technical User
Dec 24, 2002
GB
...while renewing interface pawz connection: The RPC server is unavailable"

this is the message I get when I go into Command and type in ipconfig /renew. The OS is XP SP2.

The network is up for all the other machines. The last thing I did was uninstall and remove ALL Symantec files, including shared, and reg settings as I had been getting an error message and wanted to uninstall and reinstall Norton AV.
Then I switched off the machine and found out I had no internet access when I switched it back on later.

The ethernet card responds to a loop IP, RPC is set to automatic in services, and Winsockfix for XP did not achieve a success, so I am stuck as to how I can get the card enabled to receive an IP from the Router. Is anyone familiar with this problem please?

ta

Gracie

ahh, ps, something I forgot to say.
When I look at the Network Connections page, the icon for the Ethernet card has a little padlock symbol next to it. And when I do ipconfig/all, I get my card IP details, such as they are, and then the Teledo Tunnel thingy underneath - which I looked up because I had not seen it before and thought it might be something unwelcome. It is 'ok' I understand, but it is not usually on the list. How can I unlock that padlock??

i am back on the net!
I set the tcp/ip to a static IP and put the default gateway address in, and that at last got me into the router, which I had not been able to access before from the browser.
My machine wasn't in the client table, which wasn't suprising since the router had not assigned the ip to it, so it did not appear on refresh.
I fiddled around there a bit to see if I could get any clues as to what the problem might be, then went back to the tcp/ip and changed it back to getting an IP automatically, and then went back to the router and released and renewed, and then found all was as it should be.
Quite what I did right I dunno, except putting the default gateway in when I went for the static address. Now I just have to turn off and re-boot and see if it is still ok. I would like to know what happened so to guard against it - I think maybe my over zealous removal of all things Symantec might have had a bit to do with it - I had wanted to uninstall and then re-install Nortons AV as I have been getting WMI error messages, butsems to me unless you get rid of every trace, the re-install often does not work, so I probably zapped a shared file I didn't oughta. That'll larn me.

Hi Bill, thank you for the link. At present that page isn't loading, but I will keep trying. Much appreciated.

Gracie :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back