Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

"Address Conflict" after I installed Rogers@home

Status
Not open for further replies.

jerryshao

Technical User
Oct 17, 2001
CA
Since I became a Rogers@home user, I've been bothered by a "Address Conflict" error for four days. I think It means another MAC address (Network card address) is sharing my IP address.

I called Rogers support line. They told me they would track it down after 24 hours. Now 24x4 hours passed. I waited 30minutes x 3 trying to talk to somebody from Rogers. Finally somebody answered my phone, and told me I had to wait another 24 hours.
I can't believe the famous Rogers@home has such a service!

How can I kick out that guy who is sharing my IP address?
I know I can change my IP address too. But I don't want any gentle neighbor hates me.

Can anybody help me?
Thanks a lot.

Jerry

have you tried to release that ip and obtain a new one?
Is this a dynamic or a static ip?
What is the ip address of pc? Jeter@LasVegas.com
J.Fisher CCNA

you probably have a dialup acct with your @home service, for backup. Dial in,making sure your cable modem is unpluged from the wall. Then ping the IP address you are supposed to have. Also, make sure you are not assigning an ip address. If you get replies, you know someone is using that ip address already (by statically assigning it themselves) Also, you would not see an address conflict screen unless YOU were statically assigning the ip address. so make sure you have everything typed in correctly for your tcp/ip settings. If you have an inhouse network, check all your computers as well for duplicate IP information. I used to work for a cable modem company, and I had to trace down this verything every day. Its not that hard to do it from the cable companies end (basically, you type in the ip address, and it tells you who's using it. then, if someone has it thatshouldn't, you deny access)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back