Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

"Access violation" in LCFD log

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guest_imported

Jan 1, 1970
Hi everybody,

My company is really trying to figure this one out and we turned out with nothing so far..

We're using Tivoli 3.6.4

Whenever we try to install Tivoli on a win 2000 webserver we sometimes end up with the following problem.
The installation is succesfull, the server will then try to log on to a gateway. Again, all is well.
But then we start to upgrade the endpoint, this goes up to a certain point, and then the lcfd service stops.. and the log only mentions "Access violaton" with a differy memory adres every time. This problem seems to be server specific, but other servers of the same type dont display this problem.

Any ideas are REALLY REALLY welcome!!!

Thanx in advance...
Michiel

It could be a couple of things - permissions on a specific directory (have you "locked down" things like the %SYSTEMROOT% folder?), account settings (is this also a domain controller?), etc.

Try this for more information:
In the lcfd directory, edit last.cfg and set log_level (I think that's the correct key - sorry, don't have an endpoint in front of me to check) to 3. Then restart the endpoint until it fails.

Then go back and look at lcfd.log and see if any of the messages point to something useful.

You can also set the gateway logging to level 7 (the highest level) and check %DBDIR%\gatelog for anything specific.

Obviously, don't forget to set the logging back to lower levels once you are done.

Post any results or additional information and we'll try to hunt it down further.

Leon

Framework 3.7.1 (with it's many patches) contain many pieces that allow Win2K to place nicely with Tivoli Framework. If you have a test enviroment, I would load it and begin testing.

Responding to mmich's comment on 3.6.4 vs 3.7.1

Agreed, but that is mainly for W2k managed nodes. For a machine which is purely an endpoint, you can go back to 3.6.2, I think. But certainly 3.6.4.

And the upgrade to 3.7.1 is such a major one (it could represent some script changes, depending on how the environment is customized) that I would recommend it as a fix for a problem you are "sometimes seeing" - ie: it isn't consistant or chronic.

Just my humble opinion. Leon Adato (adatole@yahoo.com)
Measure what is measurable,
And make measurable what is not so.
- Galileo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back