Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

"Access Application Not Responding" Message

Status
Not open for further replies.

iamchemist

Programmer
Mar 2, 2009
US
I am responsible for a small split multi-user Access database at a Non-Profit Food Pantry. There are two users on laptops (running a front end version of the application), which are communicating with a desktop in the back office (running a back end version of the application) via Ethernet. All are running Access 2007 under Windows 10.

Frequently, when both users/laptops are in use, the whole database slows down significantly - like 25 sec. to bring up one large tabbed form. If only one user/laptop is involved the same form comes up in 8 sec. Many times, when the database has slowed so much, an Access message pops up in the top left corner to the laptop screen which says "x.accdb Not Responding". That is, my Access application is not responding. Once the form in question comes up, the Access message disappears.

There are several tables that both Users/Laptops need to access, often simultaneously, to perform the required data entry. They do not typically need to access the same Record simultaneously. I suspect this message appears, when there is a collision of two Users trying to access the same table, which would be a common occurrence.

Is there anything I can do to improve this situation? Is there some sort of table locking or "traffic control" that I might implement to improve the situation?

If you are able to re-create this issue ‘on demand’, you can try to find a ‘bottle neck’ (bottle necks?) in your code. What I have done in the past is – include several ‘Steps’ in my code in the order the code is executed (the more steps, the better) and write the time of those Steps into a simple file. Then you can easily either see or calculate how much time elapses between the Steps and try to improve your code between the Steps that take the longest.
[tt]
Open “C:\Temp\SomeFile.txt” For Output As #1
Some code
Print #1, “Step 1” & vbTab & Now()
Some code
Print #1, “Step 2” & vbTab & Now()
Some code
Print #1, “Step 3” & vbTab & Now()
Some code
Print #1, “Step 4” & vbTab & Now()
Some code
Close #1[/tt]