Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

quiet keyboard

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 19, 2012
US
Is there a quiet keyboard? I would like a keyboard that can not be heard when I talking to someone on the phone.

I have an old keyboard from an IBM XT or maybe an IBM midrange S/34 system console keyboard. It has felt underneath each key that deadens the sound. It makes kind of a dull thud sound.

There are flexible keyboards that make very little noise.

I used a google search and found a lot of hits. One came up at Amazon.com.

I keep trying to do something about my procrastination but I keep putting it off until tomorrow.

There are now touch screen keyboards, you loose the "Feel" but it would be quiet.

What's most important is that you realise ... There is no spoon.

If there are Staples/Office Depot/Office Max near you, stop by and try the replacement keyboards, see which one has the combination of touch and quietness you prefer.
Back in the 1980's, when I was a traveling developer, I had an NCR keyboard, made in Germany, with separate physical switches for each key, and a switch on the back to be compatible with XT and AT. It was quiet, too! I hope you'll get some recommendations here for current soft touch and quiet models.

Fred Wagner

Another option: It'd be quiet, but as a touch-typist I couldn't stand having to look at the keys regularly to make sure your hands were in the right places.

There are also flexible silicon keyboards such as I imagine that'd be like going back to the ol' Sinclair Spectrum!

Annihilannic
[small]tgmlify - code syntax highlighting for your tek-tips posts[/small]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back