Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

QuickTime Pict where EPS should display in document

Status
Not open for further replies.

sebjenkins

Technical User
Jan 8, 2003
GB
Hi,

When I open my Quark v4.11 document, where it should display images (EPS), it displays Quicktime PICT in a bitmapped (jaggedy) fashion.
This is Quark Xpress 4.11 running in Classic on a PowerMac G5 running OSX 10.3.x
My documents DO show some EPSs o.k. and I have since discovered that I think the EPS files that Quark will not show are ones that have been opened and saved out of PhotoShop CS whereas EPSs that display o.k. I think were done using PhotoShop 7.
Does anyone know if what I'm saying is correct or is it total garbage?!!

Anyone have any ides ?

Thanks in advance

Hi sebjenkins
Open the document, then look under utililities, click on Usage then select Pictures, If the info says you're using a pict format then that is probably what you are using, i don't think Quark would convert an eps to a pict format.
Maybe you could open that pict up in PhotoShop or GraphicsConverter and resave it as eps.
Hope this helps
IMacQuarker

Just check to see if whatever app the eps has been created with has saved a preview acceptable for mac. Such as an old illustrator eps from PC that didn't have a preview saved...

The problem continues, as part of our hardware upgrade program, we have replaced another PowerMac G4 running OS9 with a PowerMac G5 running OSX.

This also has the problem with Quark v4.11 (in Classic) where docuents that opened fine and displayed all images and fonts fine on the OS9 G4 are now now displaying some images on pages, instead the EPS image is replaced with the wording 'QuickTime PICT'. I have no idea what that means !

I selcted one of these problem images and clicked on the cache image preview (or something like that?!) and ia caching status bar popped up and the missing image popped up in the open document. Then when I clicked away from the image area, the image disappeared.

In the usage window, all pictures have a status of 'o.k.' too.

I have lots of other PowerMac G4s that are going over to G5s this week who will continue to run Quark Xpress 4.11 in Classic until the upgrade to Indesign CS.

Anybody got any ideas ?

Thanks in advance.

I have no idea what that means !

Are you reading the posts directly above your last post? Are you understanding what a PICT preview in an EPS file is? Are you seeing if receating the PICT previews within the EPS file help your situation?

Could it be that Quark 4.1 is not compatible with eps files saved from Photoshop CS? Does that make a difference to Quark? I know it can be a problem with Illustrator EPS files...

We have resolved this problem by opening any of the EPS files that would not preview on the Quark page, in PhotoShop and resaving this with a TIFF preview.
The previously troublesome EPS images now display on the Quark pages no problem !

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back