Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

QuickTime clips crash premiere

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zytrex

Technical User
Apr 25, 2003
When I import a QT clip, everything works fine, at first. If a open the clip and view it, everything works fine. If I stick it on the timeline and hit play, everything works fine. But as soon as I try to modify the clip, such as with effects, transitions, or even changing the aspect ratio, Premiere instantly crashes. I have a newer version of QT installed than the one that comes with Premiere, but it seems stupid that that would be the problem. Can anyone help me? Thanks. :)

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I heard that you should not have more than one version of Quicktime installed, because it can create problems.

That's not the problem. I have uninstalled all Premiere stuff and completely uninstalled all QuickTime stuff, not just the player, but the extra extentions too, and then I reinstalled Premiere 6.5 and let it install QuickTime 5 like it wanted to and all the problems are still there. As soon as I mess with a QuickTime clip, Premiere crashes.

I was talking with someone else who had a similar problem, we figured out that he had a 3rd party codec in the .mov file and was unable to get that codec. So I just suggested he convert the quicktime file to an avi, then bring in into the Premier timeline. That's what I usually do.

Well, that would make sense except that the I have no problems with the clips in Premiere 6.02. Perhaps 6.5 is more anal about the codecs or something. What was the 3rd part codec you found?

The codec he had in the .mov file was from Sorenson Video 3. I've had similar problems with quicktime files, so what I did was convert it to an avi using a 3rd party application.

Hm, I get excellent response from Sorenson files, but those are my "final render" files -- I don't often further manipulate them.

Zytrex, can you place your Quicktimes on the timeline and then immediately export them as a different kind of file, say, an AVI?

curious,

[monkey] Edward [monkey]

Like Lovecraft? Know Photoshop? Got time for the Unspeakable?

Yes I can Edward, the problem is, I they often end up with the wrong aspect ratio. If I set the clip to maintain its aspect, the program crashes.

I had a similar problem with Premiere 6.5 when I upgraded QuickTime from the version that was installed. The only solution to prevent the crashing was to uninstall QuickTime and reinstall the version that came with 6.5. Everything works great now. Waiting on Premiere to fix this bug...

Zytrex,

Seems to me that you have a functional work-around here. Import the wonky Quicktimes (well, they might be wonky for any reason, it doesn't matter) and immediately re-export them as uncompressed AVI's. Then do all your editing with the resultant AVIs, as if they were your source data.

Cheers,

[monkey] Edward [monkey]

Like Lovecraft? Know Photoshop? Got time for the Unspeakable?

I should note, though, that my problems with Premiere 6.5 and QuickTime were not isolated to QT files. I had several working projects in Premiere that only used AVIs and imported still pics (JPGs, I believe). These projects were fine before upgrading QT. After I upgraded QuickTime, Premiere would crash during editing, randomly if I recall. The (annoying) solution was frequent saving. The (less stressful and stable) solution was uninstall QuickTime and reinstall the version that came with Premiere 6.5.

I am a bit surprised to find that only 2 people have encountered this annoying dilemma in 6.5.

Well that work-around is a pain. QuickTime provides the only real lossless and visually lossless compression for storage. I only have so much space and it's nice to store clips as QuickTime movies with 100% quality JPEG compression. In AVI, it's uncompressed or visually screwed up. DV is very good, but it is NOT lossless.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back