Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Quicktime 7.7.2.80.56 install error 1603

Status
Not open for further replies.

kkbass

MIS
Mar 22, 2007
US
Trying to push quicktime 7.7.2.80.56 via SCCM 2007 to XP & Win7, running into errors while distributing the actual quicktime.msi via SCCM.
running it via msiexec /i quicktime.msi TRANSFORMS=quicktime.mst /qn (from command line this runs fine, just not from SCCM)
Only changes I made to the MST initially were getting rid of the desktop icon. I did then try adding
NOT BNEWERPRODUCTISINSTALLED - dropped that table - no luck
InstallExecutiveSequence Set PreventDowngrade to 0 - did not help either.
Severity Type Site code Date / Time System Component Message ID Description
Error Milestone XXX 5/17/2012 8:53:58 AM WIN7_TEST-PC Software Distribution 10006 The program for advertisement "XXX200AC" failed ("XXX000A0" - "Quicktime 7.7.2"). A failure exit code of 1603 was returned. User context: NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM Possible cause: Systems Management Server (SMS) determines status for each program it executes. If SMS cannot find or correlate any installation status Management Information Format (MIF) files for the program, it uses the program's exit code to determine status. An exit code of 1603 is considered a failure. Solution: For more information on the exit code, refer to the documentation for the program you are distributing.
I noticed when it does fail like this it leaves an entry in add/remove programs that doesnt allow you to uninstall it saying a newer version is installed. I saw plenty of people having this error with 7.7.1 (and tried fixes from those posts), was hoping apple would have fixed this in 7.7.2.....
- Install quicktime 7.7.2 from command line (msiexec /i quicktime.msi TRANSFORMS=quicktime.mst /qn) on a fresh xp/win7 VM works fine (no previous version of quicktime ever installed on this machine, be it 7.7.2 or older).
- Install quicktime 7.7.2 from SCCM using the same command line (msiexec /i quicktime.msi TRANSFORMS=quicktime.mst /qn) on a fresh xp/win7 VM fails with the said 1603 error (no previous version of quicktime ever installed on this machine, be it 7.7.2 or older).
On the plain command line install ones that work fine you can reinstall/uninstall quicktime 7.7.2 just fine. On the SCCM deployed machines it does show quicktime in the add/remove programs but if you try to reinstall/uninstall it says there is a newer version already installed. If I manually delete HKCR\installer\products\890B46E081086524AB323C614AA39D0B I can then run the msi/mst install via command line sucessfully (and uninstall cleanly), but if I readvertise from SCCM it still fails. So if it is failing via SCCM but not failing via manual/command line...... (the slew of other apps I have run through SCCM are working fine, it is just this one little bugger that is uncooperative).
Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back