Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Quick SSh Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Germo

Technical User
Mar 29, 2004
GB
Hi All,

This is a quick question.

If a servers IP address changes would the SSH/SFTP be effected?

I think it will not but would like a second opinion.

Any help would be great.

Thank You

Unless you have defined specific IPs to listen for SSH in your ssh config file (in the case of multi-homed servers) it shouldn't be an issue since the default is to listen on all network interfaces. If the server is behind a firewall then the IP has to be updated for that particular firewall rule

I am not sure how it can affect known_hosts (or global ssh_known_hosts file) but maybe they will have to be updated if the new address was already used somewhere before and it's entries already resided in known_hosts files with different public host key

I guess you refer to the destination machine's ip being changed.
If the dest. ip is defined in the source server (<home>/.ssh/known_hosts), then you have to remove that entry from the file. And when you connect next time, It will warn whether you want to connect or not. Saying yes would add new dest. ip in the source server file.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back