Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Quick question about workgroup files

Status
Not open for further replies.

dafyddg

Programmer
Dec 2, 2003
GB
Hi,

If i create a workgroup file for a data base and then move both the database file and the workgroup file to another computer, will the database still work? I think it will but can't test it at the moment. Its just that i remember seeing somewhere about registry keys being created when the wrokgroup file is created.

On the same topic, is there a way with different users logging on that you can specify whether the database window is visible or not?

Thanks for any assitance :)

1. It's very possible to move your database and workgroup file to a different location. If you are using shortcuts to open the database, then you simply have to update the shortcut to the new location. I've written a (poor) FAQ on shortcuts and workgroup files, but there's one part of interest to you:

-----
[tt]Shortcuts (.LNK files) - The proper way to open a database using Access/JET security - Use the command-line /wrkgrp parameter to specify the workgroup you will use for your secured database. This will always involve the creation of a custom shortcut. An example of the shortcut's 'Target' line is:

"C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\MSACCESS.EXE" "C:\atemp\dev\rq_fe.mdb" /wrkgrp "C:\atemp\dev\icg.mdw"

This would open the 'rq_fe.MDB' file using my custom 'icg.mdw' workgroup file.[/tt]
-----
Explaining MDW files faq181-3950

So if you use a shortcut to open the database, all you'd have to do is update the shortcut when you move the database.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back