Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

QUICK question about replacing os

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 11, 2001
US
Hello.
I'm not a Windows person, so any help would be really ... helpful.

THE SHORT VERSION OF MY PROBLEM:
I need to install win98 over an old install, preserving all other files on disk. The 98 disk I have will not install over an old install (it says I need an upgrade disk).
I already have a full back up of the hdd on another 98 machine on our lan.

If anyone wants the long version, I can supply it.
Thanks for any help. I appreciate it.

Hi!!

If you have space on your HDD, can try to install windows on a different directory. By default is windows, you can change it to win or something else. That way all you dont loose all your files.

I would like the long version, including what is the WIN98 version that you have now,
** and what disk you are trying to use to INSTALL OVER THE TOP ??

I have done this a number of times with great success.
I'm thinking your trying to use a WIN98 - ORIGINAL disk,,,, on an OEM install ,,,,,,
I need the information though.

Was the WIN98 a factory install (OEM) ?

I need an explanation about this,,,,,,,

3 steps to take. Rename any win*.* to in the windows directory, remove the desktop directory, remove the registry files. I've had some success with them but I have the feeling that they work for different versions or that different versions take different combinations.
Note that the registry files are SHR in the windows directory and named *.da*.
AND DOING THIS WIPES OUT SOME IMPORTANT LINKS THAT WILL REQUIRE SOME PROGRAM RELOADS.
Ed Fair
efair@atlnet.com

Any advice I give is my best judgement based on my interpretation of the facts you supply.

Help increase my knowledge by providing some feedback, good or bad, on any advice I have given.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back