Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Quick Question about butt sets 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

technodrew

Technical User
Nov 15, 2005
CA
I require a butt set, something simple and easy to use. Speaker would be great to have. I see this heandheld HD7 (palm size) anyone had good experience with this one. I chose teh WTS501 retails for reasonable and the Harris (although I use to use it ) a little pricey?? what would you guys recommend.

Thanks a billion

bad thing about butt sets, the low cost ones are not much better then a disposable radio shack 9.95 analog set clips. the ts22 would be my choice.. good thing about a good butt set, unless you bounce test it alot, they tend to last.. mine is close to 8 years old and i've got a couple of spares that are almost 20.. yes they had touch tone back then

john poole
bellsouth business
columbia,sc

In switchrooms, I've often installed a small amplifier and speaker. Monitor is done with .1 mf 100v capacitor on both legs of the line and a 600ohm matching transformer to isolate. Add a wall phone to the mix and you have a pretty convenient setup... It can be risky if you leave it on and someone walks in and hears conversation.

As for the $9 at Radio Shack - they were selling out of a little flip phone a few years ago. I bought 5 of them for our department. I must admit, we don't have much use for but sets any more...there just aren't that many analog lines.

TEKIMG.gif

i need it for analog and digital? will it work with both.
The main reason I need it is to do a clean up of unused lines by plugging on the bix and weeding through them all. Anyone have any better suggestions?

thanks.

never met a but set that will work for both.. i use a 2616 with a display for butt set on digital sets. not very handy but cheap

john poole
bellsouth business
columbia,sc

Sandman has a great little unit that comes in a small pouch. It works great for small toot bags. Add a piece of cross connect and it now works on ground start trunks.

The part number is TLS2A and runs for $119.95 with a pouch.

Scott M.

You do not necessarily need the butt set. If you are going to do some trouble shooting for both analog or digital sets, a decent digital multi-meter can give you more information than your typical butt set once you learn to really use it. Voltage differences, polarity for digital sets so on and so forth as you use one and learn to do more trouble shooting with it. If you feel you a butt set the TS-30 costs less than the 22 or 23 models.

Never seen it, but I've heard legand that you could actualy dial a call from an old Simpson and if you talked into the red lead.... oh forget it.

But you are so right about the power and versatility of a VOM. That is a great back to reality post...Hard to prove a grounded leg or a marginal long line without a meter.

I'll betr you prefer analog but just won't admit it.

TEKIMG.gif

THE ONLY THING YOU CAN USE A BUTT SET FOR ON DIGITAL IS TO SEE IF YOU HAVE TALK BATTERY AND DATA PRESENT. IF YOU HAVE ALREADY CHECKED THE TN AT MDF AND MADE SURE THAT A PHONE WORKS THERE, IT SHOULD WORK AT THAT POINT OF TESTING. IF NOT BAD PHONE, NOT ROCKET SCIENCE

OLD ROLMEN WORKING ON NORTELS

Actually I prefer digital, but have found trouble shooting cabling done overseas with local contractors is faster to find fixes/problem cures with a decent multi-meter. Other wise I use my TS-23.

I tried to buy the TLS2A a couple times from Sandman. They told me that they can't get the parts to make them anymore.
I don't think this will do digital.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back