Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Quick launch 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

krinid

Programmer
Jun 10, 2003
CA
Despite rearranging the icons in the order I like them, the order of the icons on my quick launch bar changes everytime I relogin. Is there a way to fix the order in which they appear?

Have a look in this folder -

C:\Documents and Settings\UserName\Application Data\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch

Arranging the icons by name, modified or type etc. does not seem to effect the way they are listed on the Quick Launch bar. They seem to be arranged there, alphabetically.

This link will offer you a Fix to adjust the Sort order to your liking.

linney,
Thanks. Does this affect other settings as well? Just curious as to what else will be affected by making this change.

As to what the code of the fix does I am not qualified to say, other than it may fix your problem. Even the people who are clever enough to write such fixes sprinkle their sites with ample disclaimers. There is a risk any time you enter the Registry.

What I can say is that any Registry Fixes coming from either "Doug's" or "Kelly's" sites are very professional and top drawer. They have helped numerous people all over the World with their fixes, as well as at this forum. I have never seen anything but compliments regarding these two people.

linney,
Good point! Thanks for the info.

There are several aspects of the Desktop that are set by registry entries to 'Autoarrange.'

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer\NoSaveSettings

Is usually not present, or is enabled with a value of "1", and in that case the autoarrange keys are set to "1" or yes as a result on startup.

The change Doug Knox suggested in linney's link is to tell XP that you prefer in some cases to have your arrangement rather than an autoarrangement. It is perfectly safe to do. If you have issues, change the "0" in the little .vbs script with notepad to a "1" and run it again.

what function exactly does a quick launch do????please someone be clearer

Think of it as your own custom Start Menu.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back