Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Quick Launch Bar

Status
Not open for further replies.

James2210

Technical User
Sep 6, 2001
GB
On some of our PC's, the quick launch bar background is black and it cannot be made smaller. Also the two vertical bars on the rest of the toolbar have black backgrounds. If the quick launch bar is dragged onto the desktop, the window is black. Tried deleting shelliconcache and playing with desktop properties and colour schemes-no good. Also tried tweakui to do a rebuild on the icons-no good. Tried deleting quick launch folder and recreating it. This allows me to resize the quick launch bar, but the background is still black! Is there anything else to try?

Check your 'theme' by going to control panel / display / appearance and set it to standard windows.

if your saying that you have large icons on the taskbar, right click on the bar (where the icons are - not the running programs) top of the list should be view and to the right it will say large icons, small icons.

If you have small icons, but the taskbar is double height, where you see the vertical seperator bar on the taskbar run the mouse over it until the cursor changes, then click / drag around and up. Its hard to explain, but doing it you will see what I mean.

If your getting normal icons turning to black icons then you need more video ram installed on the PC.

Thanks for the reply. Already tried all the theme, resolution, colour and appearance settings. Here is a picture of the toolbar so you can see what I'm on about...

11192319.TASKBAR.bmp

Normally, you could grab the vertical bar to the right and make the quick launch bar the same size as the three icons in it, but now it just won't go smaller than it is now. Bigger is no problem, but smaller no can do!

Have you got ie4 / active desktop running?

I remember everything going black because of it. If its enabled try disabling.

Appreciate the help.

It's IE 5.5 and active desktop is most definately inactive. I even tried activating it but it made no difference. I'm going to try and see what effect putting IE 6 on would have if I get time today.

I'd say that this problem is currently affecting about 20 PC's in different departments, but so far, the only similarity between them is they all have Windows 98.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back