Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Quick HTTP Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

us282925

MIS
May 14, 2002
US
Does anyone know how I can change the HTTP Header values that get sent out for my webpages. Is this a command line prompt? I want to keep the pages from being cached by AOL for example. I'm using SilverStream Server 4.0.

Many Thanks,

Russ

YOu have to change by setting the headers in the response object.

response.setHeader(httpHeader, value)

In Pages that is done in the pageRequestBegin section

In the world of JSP you just say:

<%
response.setHeader(....);

%>

BTW: This won't help you with AOL. AOL caches the page on its servers and doesn't look at this stuff. The only ways I found to &quot;beat&quot; AOL is to:
- Create a unique URL each time (x.jsp?date=timeinmilliseconds)
- Have all AOL users use HTTPS since AOL does not cache HTTPS pages

mingus, you are correct with what you say. AOL does not look at any HTML code and will cache all URLs that aren't unique or that aren't HTTPS. They say they won't cache if there is a ? mark or ; in the URL, but my URL has a question mark and they cache.

The thing is we bought this software from another company and the pages are encrypted and I can't change them.

There is an HTTP Header object that is separate from the HTML and page code that AOL will obey. It's easy to change the HTTP header in Microsoft IIS, but I don't know how to do it in SilverSteam.

If I change the Cache-Control=[no-cache] to Cache-Control=[no-store], AOL says they won't cache it...

Can you help? Thanks....

Russ

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back