Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Quick help! Install on NTFS?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TipGiver

Programmer
Sep 1, 2005
Hi,

Can you provide me a link for:
- Fedora Core 5
- 32-bit CPU
- To be installed on NTFS partition

Tnx
(I have downloaded the FC5 from sunsite.mff.cuni.cz but the 64-bit version. If the i386 is for 32-bit CPU, then can i install it on NTFS?)

You will not be able to install any version of Fedora on an NTFS formatted partition. You will need to make some free space on the drive. And make sure that you use whichever version is appropriate for your processor - i386 versions are for 32 bit processors & x86_64 versions are only for 64 bit processors.

Theoretically, yes. The kernel has support for ntfs but I don't think it's available during intalltion. Even if it is I wouldn't recommend it.

It might work but I wouldn't waste my time on it.

Lorenzo Wacondo (System Administrator)

## Just because you can do something doesn't mean you should.

Hi,

I have a disk 160GB and allocated 40 of them, formatted and assigned a drive letter. It is NTFS formatted.. How can i change it to FAT32? I do not see any option

Most recent linux distros can read NTFS partitions & some have very limited write capabilities for file storage, but none can install to & operate from an NTFS partition.

You don't need to change to FAT32 for linux - you need free space. Are you saying that 40GB is use & formatted for windows or are you saying that 40GB is free or are you saying something else entirely?

(You might want a FAT32 partition for moving/using files with both operating systems, but that is outside of the scope of 'installing')

Windows is installed on C drive.
Linux will be installed on E drive (160GB). I allocated 40GB of 160GB only because the space of 40GB is very much.

During installation, you will be asked where to install linux.
You may identify the right partition by size.

Another possibility is to change to a console (<Ctrl>-<Alt>-<F2>), login as root, and call 'fdisk'.

You can change the partition-type to linux (83), but it will be better to create a swap-partition for linux (82) too.

So delete the you volume E: (which might be hda2 or something similar - watch for the size) and create 2 new partitions.
Take 1,5 times the size of RAM for swap.

Later create the filesystems (mkfs.reiserfs/ mkfs.ext3).
ext3 and reiserfs are the most popular filesystems today.

You can't use NTFS for a lot of reasons:
a) Write-support is not stable.
aa) Even if, it has to be build into the kernel to allow booting - but most kernels will provide ntfs-support as modul.
b) NTFS doesn't know symbolic links, but linux will need the ability to create symbolic links on the harddrive.
c) User/group/other - read-write-execute - permissions (plus sticky bit and other funky stuff performed on the filesystem) isn't available on ntfs.

seeking a job as java-programmer in Berlin:

I am a little confused..
Are you saying to delete the 40GB partition to join it with the other 120GB ? (40+120=160GB). If i do so, i should format the disk and i only have the NTFS choice. Err do you mean to have the whole disk de-allocated, so it will be not shown in the drives list in windows?

:)

NO, you delete the 40G partition and leave it unformatted. When you install LINUX it will ask where you want to install it and you point it at the unpartitioned space. It will know what to do.

The answer is "42"

Just to make sure we're all understanding each other clearly - TipGiver, does your 160GB drive already have a 120GB partition or is this something that you want to do as part of the linux installation?

Since you're using XP, try this: Start, Run, diskmgmt.msc, OK. Tell us what you see for graphic at the bottom for Disk 1

Hi,

my 160GB disk is empty. This is too much for linux, so i would like to use 40GB for linux and the rest 120GB just space for my data (windows programs data).
I know the diskmgmt.msc.. I used that to create the partition. As it was pointed above, i should leave the whole disk un-formatted. Ok now it is not allocated, but will i have the option during intallation to use only 40GB and not all the disk ?

tnx

Partitioning & formatting are not the same thing. If there's nothing on the drive, delete the existing 160GB partition & create a 120GB partition (formatted NTFS if you'd like). Leave the remainder (~40GB) free & unpartitioned. When you install linux, tell it to use the unpartitioned space & it will take care of the rest.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back