Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Quick Excel question 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

msoffq

Technical User
Apr 20, 2001
US
I know the basics (Excel) but do not know how to total the number of instances of a single word in a column. For example, if I have listed 500 cars that have passes me, and put the color of each car in a cell, how could I get the total number of BLUE cars to calculate?

Hi,
Here's a way...
Code:
=COUNTIF(E:E,"=blue")
Skip,
metzgsk@voughtaircraft.com

Thanks Skip, I had played around with =COUNT, not =COUNTIF
Thanks again.

There are a number of other ways.

Try this...

Turn on the Auto Filter, assuming that your column has a heading.

Select the column

Select the value you want from the AutoFilter DropDown Box at the top of that column.

Select the column

Right click the StatusBar at the bolltom of your application window

Select Count

VOLA :) Skip,
metzgsk@voughtaircraft.com

msoffq,

Because of Skip's excellent suggestions, I know you'll appreciate learning of the "proper" way of "saying thanks" at Tek-Tips... It's by issuing those STARS you've likely seen.

These STARS are the ONLY form of "payment" received by Tek-Tips contributors, so it's reasonably important that this "accepted practice" be used - in order that we keep these experts "motivated" to carry on as contributors.

Issuing a STAR is just a matter of clicking on the "Click here to mark this post as a helpful or expert post!" - located in the lower-left-corner of the contributor's posting.

I hope you find this information useful, but PLEASE do NOT issue a star for my posting, as I prefer to EARN stars in the normal manner. Thanks. :)

Regards, ...Dale Watson dwatson@bsi.gov.mb.ca

Dale, OK, here is an "old fasion" thanks for your post. I find this forum the best on the web, and those that are sharp enough, as well as generous enough to take the time to help, deserve the recognition. Skip, Dale and Dreamboat are true leaders.
I truly try to read every post in this forum, and have learned quite a bit.
If it ain't broken, play with it till it breaks.

You are right, Moram. This forum takes you where no text book has ever gone. TechNet is a tremendous source, but the real life situations found here are most valuable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back