Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Quick Disconnect

Status
Not open for further replies.

xenolith

ISP
Mar 4, 2002
Hello all, I have a situation where analog phones are commonly moved abruptly, ripping the phone jack out of the wall. Does anyone know of a quick disconnect type adapter that can go inline at the wall plate to reduce this problem? Yes, I know it sounds odd, and it shouldnt be this way, but it is what it is. :)

Not a quick disconnect, but what about just breaking off the tabs (so they don't lock in)?

If you break off the tab the plug will likely come out on it's own.

My solution would be to use a longer cable and connect it to something sturdy to take the strain off the jack. This could be as simple as a zip tying or using a clove hitch to secure the cable to a desk leg.

Like Dgyde said, if it is just analog, you could use almost anything. As extreme as a heavy duty extension cord, or an in wall RCA connector would work. I can't think of anything specifically made for Telephone.

I would break off the tab then use a spot of glue on either side of the plug to retain it. Will require you to glue it in at the new location.

Ed Fair
Give the wrong symptoms, get the wrong solutions.

I would nail the phone to the desk or wall

I have had a customer superglue their phones to the tables in their file room to avoid pulling them off as they looked for files. Old 1A2 sets, made it hard to change a lamp though.LOL

Avaya/Nortel/NEC/Asterisk/Access Control/CCTV/DSX/Acti/UCx

TR guitar plug and jack or old school 4 prong will work ?

TR guitar plug and jack or old school 4 prong will work ?"

Old school is new again.

I am curious as to how the phones are moved abruptly.
What does that mean exactly in this case?

How about using one of those retractable phone cords of a sufficient length. If it is pulled, the cord will just get longer =D

How about making a custom line cord. Break out the strain relief (the little plastic part that crimps on to the jacket) and then crimp the plug onto the line cord so that only the 4 pins where they pierce the insulation of the conductors are what is holding it in. It will rip the cord out of the plug and leave the plug in the wall plate. Then all you need is to crimp on a new custom plug.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back