Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Quick AD question

Status
Not open for further replies.

people2

Technical User
Feb 8, 2002
GB
I have resently upgraded my old nt4 PDC to windows 2000 with AD.

I am about to upgrade one of my nt4 BDC to windows 2000, Do i need to install AD on the old BDC to make it authenticate users once it is upgraded? Also the PDC has DNS do i need to install DNS on the new server aswell

Both servers are part of the same domain but are at differant sites (diferant subnet masks)

Thanks for any help

Don't upgrade your BDC! If you already have one DC running 2000 then you shouldn't upgrade the others. Wipe the drive on the BDC and do a fresh install of 2000 - it will run a lot quicker!! Yes you do need to install DNS on the 2nd server. DNS needs to be on the server before you can DCPROMO it and turn it into the 2nd DC.

Hope this helps,

Glenn.

Carefull here, are you running in mixed mode where the W2K DC and the NT BDC are aware of each other? I don't believe they replicate, but if you don't demote the bdc to stand alone first, you might have problems. Consultant wiped drive of one of my DC's (All W2K), now I've got a ghost DC on the network that causes the real dc to give me error messages because it can't find the old dc. Glen A. Johnson
Microsoft Certified Professional
glen@nellsgiftbox.com
[americanflag]

"Common sense is an instinct for the truth."
Max Jacobs (1876-1944); French writer.

Think i got it sorted now, i was planning on doing a fresh install on my nt4 bdc (new drives).

cheers For the help anyway

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back