Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

queuing config

Status
Not open for further replies.

MAJBlaine

IS-IT--Management
May 20, 2002
US
On all of my 3600 routers I have the inside ethernet's queuing strategy set to "fifo," but the outside serial port is set to "weighted fair."

This network was previously managed by someone who knew even less about Cisco than I do, so I'm skeptical about everything I see.

Is this an optimal configuration?

Thanks,
Blaine

this is the default configuration.. and in your case (probably) the optimum config unless you are doing VoIP, in which case you need PQ-CBWFQ on the serial

If the Serial is under 2Meg, the default setting for Cisco is WFQ, otherwise its FIFO. Leave it as WFQ unless you are having specific problems with network traffic congestion.

Not sure I agree with this.

The burst buffers on most servers/PC's ensure a 10/100 MBPS LAN interface can fill a T1 (the 3600 has no problem filling the T1)

In a pure WFQ environmentthe RTP (VoIP traffic) will get stuck behind large data packets as it iis likely that large packet trains will occur.

by adding PQ to CBWFQ this problem was eliminated.

RTP is PQ'd, the rest is WFQ'd

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back