Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Queue for Routing group disappearing

Status
Not open for further replies.

fatdog302

Technical User
Jun 12, 2002
AU
I have a front-end server and a few back-end servers, under routing Groups there are connectors for each of these sites. When i go into the queues for the FE server i thought i should see a queue for each of the sites but this is not the case there is a few of the sites missing. If i right click on the queues and click enable all connections it will appear but come back the next morning and it is not there anymore.

I had a server outage in one of the sites overnight so every email that was to be routed to that site was lost.

What is causing this queue to disappear?

The list of SMTP queues you see in the queue viewer snap-in are, in fact, a complete fiction. all the SMTP messages in all the queues do, in fact, exist in a single directory; the mailroot queue directory. During the categorization process metadata for each message is updated indicating the state of the message. This metadata is sored in an alternate data stream. You can catch a glimpse of it using the sysinternals utility Streams. If you want the data decoded cleanly in human readable format, use dumpmsg. The "queues" you see in the queue viewer snap-in are a dynamically compiled report of the states of messages in the queue directory obtained by reading the metadata. If nothing is queued for a given destination, the queue does not exist in the queue viewer. In reality, the queues never did exist. The behavior you are observing is expected if no messages are queued to the site in question.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back