Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Questions with Regard to Medpro Resources 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

gany

Technical User
Feb 19, 2007
US
Hi,

I just want to ask what is the difference between a Media Processing resource and a TDM resource within a Medpro Circuit Pack (TN2302 and TN2602). What are their functions? How many resources are being used in a Medpro for an:

1. IP - IP call
2. TDM - IP call
3. Trunk - IP call

Hope to hear from you guys. Thanks.

IP to IP call generally does not use any Medpro resources but this will depend on how you have the switch configured to allow for direct IP calls and hair pinning.

The next two senarios depend on whick board and what compression is used. A TN2602 will only use one DSP resource to go between TDM to IP,it does not matter the compression used. The TN2302 will only use one resource if there is no compression but will use 2 resources if there is compression.

Hope this helps.

When you say DSP resource, are you referring to the TDM resource? or the Media Processing resource? I believe these two are different from each other. I was told that a certain circuit-switched call consumes two resources, a media processing resource and a tdm resource. I am just confused what are the differences between these two.

Improvement begins with I

Media Processing Resource.

Yes a circuit switched call will consume one of each. The TN2302 has 64 DSP resources for converting from TDM to IP. When using uncompressed calls the it uses 1 TDM and 1 DSP, when converting to compressed calls it uses 1 TDM and 2 DSP.

The TN2602 has 320 DSP resources and only requires one for any conversion.

Hi Tolson,

Thank you for shedding me a light on this. I think I am now starting to get it. Correct me if I thought wrong:

1. All circuit-switched calls require a tdm resource.

2. ckt-swtchd on the same PN does not need a dsp resource, just tdm.

3. ckt-swtchd calls on an inter-PN needs tdm resource to communicate with medpro and a dsp resource to packetize the audio for it to get transported on the other PN (let say IP Trk-IP Trk link). So it took 2 resources (1TDM and 1DSP) on that PN where the ckt-swtchd call originated.

4. IP - IP call on the same PN will need 1 DSP resource, but not TDM resource. Provided NO-Shuffling.

5. IP - IP call w/ shuffling only needs DSP resource during call setup and once call is established DSP resource is dropped. NO TDM resource was used on the duration of the call.

6. IP to ckt-switched on the same PN requires 1DSP resource for the IP Phone, and 1TDM/1DSP for the ckt-swtchd. (NO Shuffling)

7. IP to ckt-switched on a different PN requires 1DSP/1TDM resource for IP Phone, and 1TDM/1DSP for the ckt-switchd. (No shuffling)

8. If with shuffling and hairpinning, Medpro resources (TDM and DSP) is dropped in an IP Phone call, while on the ckt-swtchd end still require the TDM and DSP resource.

I hope I'm right. lol :)

Thanks!

I think the TDM resource is no longer needed on the IP Phone part since PN-PN communicates via IP, right? Only the DSP resource (No Shuffling Mode)

By the way, I'm referring to item #7.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back