Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Questions understanding SIP and CUBE

Status
Not open for further replies.

TommyMac4

MIS
Feb 23, 2015
US
We have CUCM 10.5 on-site for telephony for our general population. Implementing a cloud hosted IVR/ACD with Five9 for our call center. We want SIP trunking between the 2 systems for 4 digit dialing. We'll have a dedicated MPLS to Five9 as primary and will be using internet as a backup using a VPN tunnel. Our Cisco vendor has recommended using 2 CUBE devices for SIP traffic. 1 for MPLS and 1 for Internet.
#1 - Is this overkill as we will be using MPLS and VPN over Internet? Are the CUBE devices mostly used for security?
#2 - how is the SIP licensing purposed? Is it on CUCM or for the CUBE's themselves? or a combo of both?
#3 - how can I check the SIP licenses that we currently have on CUCM?
Thanks in advance. Any info you can provide is appreciated.

#1 - Depending on what kind of redundancy you want but i would say no it is not overkill.
#2 - You have licensing for the CUBE.
#3 - If you do a sh run you will see the line "mode border-element license capacity" under voice service voip.

Certifications:
A+
Network+
CCENT
CCNA Voice
TVOICE
CAPPS
CIPTV1
CIPTV2

As well as acting as a Session Border Controller, the CUBE can do SIP normalisation. i.e. Provide conversions between CUCM and other systems.
Not all platforms implement SIP in the same way...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back