Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

questions to the user community

Status
Not open for further replies.

arkady69

Programmer
Feb 10, 2005
US
We are in the process of evaluating interface engines and egate is on our short list.

Could the community share their experienses with seebeyond and egate. the good the bad and the indifferent.

All comments are welcome.

Thanks,

Arkady Sharkansky
OCHIN
software engineer

I'd be glad to share our experience.
So far, I have had very little problems with eGate. Our live and test machines has been running over a year. We have eGate 4.5.1 loaded in AIX 4.3.3 running on an IBM pSeries 660 with a two-way 450 cpu, 1 gb of RAM, and 36 gb of external raid 5 disks (plus the mirrored internal os drives). The only problem we have is a memory leak which causes the paging space to grow and never clean up. There may be an fix, but I haven't looked in a while. About once every 6 months, I stop and restart eGate. It drops the paging space to about 4-5%.
I would like to see more supported OS's. I have a post here for a linux question. I can't believe they still only support Red Hat linux 6.2.
Other than that, it runs like a champ. Also, once you get used to it, it's very easy to manage.
I wish they would bring back some features from the 3.6 gui. I liked clicking on the component and seeing the messages flow. Now I have to tail -f the logs.
I hope that helps.
Good luck deciding.

Mark Kozusnik
Wheeling Hospital

There is a patch for the memory leak, can't remember now which sr number it is. Or its a AIX patch, my memory is misty on that but I know one of them is the solution. C'lest vie.
eGate works well (4.5.3) if implemented properly. All integration tools have there little idiosyncronises, and a lot of those you find depending on the architecture. The support from Seebeyond has not been great in my experience so bear that in mind.

Thanks for the update on the memory leak. However, we're migrating live and test to Red Hat 7.3, so it won't be an issue anymore.

As for the support, in the past, I may have called 2 or 3 times. Usually, they give me an ESR update or they can't help. When we called in a case recently for information on newer linux versions, they tried to be helpful, but could not give me the info I needed. That's what makes this forum helpful.

Later,
Mark

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back