Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Questions Regarding Drive Failure on RAID5

Status
Not open for further replies.

deshi777

MIS
Jun 17, 2005
US
I have a Compaq Proliant 6000 server with RAID5. We have a "hot spare" that kicked in this morning (one of the other drives failed.

My questions are:
1. Can I yank the bad drive out with everything running?
2. Can I install a spare (from another idle Compaq server; same exact drive model)?
3. Do I have to do something to this "spare" before plugging it into the open bay (assuming the answer to #1 & 2 are Yes)
4. Will the "spare" drive then become the Hot Swap (standby) drive?

Thanks very much.

deshi777,

"1. Can I yank the bad drive out with everything running?"

If you have the drives installed in a "HotSwapable" drive cage, you can do this. Not all RAID Array's are setup as hot swapable. The ProLiant line should be equipped as hot swapable.

"2. Can I install a spare (from another idle Compaq server; same exact drive model)?"

The replacement should/must be of the same size/type and for safety, zero filled.

"3. Do I have to do something to this "spare" before plugging it into the open bay (assuming the answer to #1 & 2 are Yes)"

I would zero fill the drive, while not actually required.

"4. Will the "spare" drive then become the Hot Swap (standby) drive?"

This is how it is supposed to function but I am not sure on this. You should check the Mfg docs for specifics. The ProLiant 6000 line includes PII and PIII Xeon implementations and most important differing RAID controllers with different operational specifications. I would determine what RAID controller is installed and GOOGLE this controller model for specifics.

rvnguy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back