Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Questions on TSM DB & Off-site Active-Data Pool

Status
Not open for further replies.

KRYNNA

Programmer
Feb 2, 2004
HK
Hi All,

I am new to TSM, and I spot that TSM 5.4 provide a feature "Active Data Pool" and I would like to create one on Tape Device and use it to provide off-site tape copy.

And my question is:
If a defined a backup copy group with "kept 30 version & 30 day retention" that backup client's data to primary pool during backup window, and then copy the active data in primary pool to active data pool after backup window.

>>> Can I restore data to client from the "ship back" off-site tape (active data pool) that after say~ 3 months (> 30 day retention) without restoring the TSM DB?

Thanks,

Krynna

Hi Krynna

You asked: "Can I restore data to client from the 'ship-back' off-site tape (active data pool) that after say~ 3 months (>30 day retention) without restoring the TSM DB?"

Answer: no

All client data that resides in a storage pool is tracked and managed by the TSM DB.

If you want to restore data without using the TSM DB, then you need to look at working with "backup sets" which can be accessed by clients using just the TSM BA Client code and appropriate hardware/media.

HTH

Have Fun !
Matthew Bourne
"Find a job you love and never do a day's work in your life.

Dear Matthew,

Thank you for your reply!
And I would like to ask if you can tell me:
1. I heard about that backup sets will not include data objects like from TDP Database, all this objects that it will include is "files", am I correct?

2. If my company policy require to keep SOME off-site tape for 7 year, what should I do? (I believe it is impossible to set all backup retention period to 2600 days --> ~7 years)

Thanks in advance!

Thanks,

Krynna

One of my clients use backupsets, and I must say that it is a pain to manage. TSM does not track expired backupsets, so you have to do this manually to keep the tapes in circulation. And you are correct.. you cannot create a backupset of TDP data...

You might be better off creating another mgclass with a 7yr retention, then you can have your nodes archive to the mgmt class.

Hi Krynna

Like PD says, you can create another mgmt class with an archive copy group that stores data 7 years; another way, if you are trying to implement a sequence of daily, weekly, monthly backups, is to use multiple node definitions and schedules for the same client. For example, if I want daily incrementals of CLIENT to be kept 1 week, and weekly incrementals of CLIENT to be kept 1 month:

1. create nodes "CLIENT-D" and "CLIENT-W"
2. create mgmt classes with backup copy groups:

DAILYMC (keep 7 versions retain 7 days)
WEEKLYMC (keep 31 versions retain 31 days)

3. configure 2 option files on the client, 1 for each node definition, and run 2 schedule engines

4. create appropriate schedules on the server to perform the backups you want and associate correct nodes

HTH

Have Fun !
Matthew Bourne
"Find a job you love and never do a day's work in your life.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back