Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Questions on the logical log backup

Status
Not open for further replies.

retroman

Programmer
Feb 18, 2001
SG

I have a few questions about the logical files backup.

1) In the IDS200 archive and backup manual it says that IDS does not check the tape device when u specify TAPEDEV & LTAPEDEV. Infomrix recommends verify the the tape device can read the block size specify in TAPEDEV & LTAPEDEV for a success restore. How do i verify the block size that a tape device permits?

2) I have the following portion found in my online.log. What does the "Process exited ..." means? It is imcomplete backup? What would the cause be?

13:49:54 Logical Log 694 - Backup Started
13:49:57 Logical Log 694 - Backup Completed
13:49:57 Logical Log 695 - Backup Started
13:50:00 Logical Log 695 - Backup Completed
13:50:02 Logical Log 696 - Backup Started
13:50:02 Logical Log 696 Complete.
13:50:05 Logical Log 696 - Backup Completed
13:50:05 Process exited with return code 133: /bin/sh /bin/sh -c /informix/etc/
log_full.sh 2 23 "Logical Log 696 Complete." "Logical Log 696 Complete."
13:50:15 Logical Log 697 - Backup Started
13:50:15 Logical Log 697 - Backup Completed
13:50:15 Logical Log 697 Complete.
13:50:16 Process exited with return code 133: /bin/sh /bin/sh -c /informix/etc/
log_full.sh 2 23 "Logical Log 697 Complete." "Logical Log 697 Complete."
13:50:21 Logical Log 698 - Backup Started
13:50:21 Logical Log 698 - Backup Completed
13:50:21 Logical Log 698 Complete.

3) I have LTAPEDEV set to a regular unix file at /disk1/logback. Will the file be overwrite every times i do a ontape -a or will the file be append ? It is alright if the file being overwrite?

Any good answers is appreciated.
Thanks

>1) In the IDS200 archive and backup manual it says that >IDS does not check the tape device when u specify TAPEDEV >& LTAPEDEV. Infomrix recommends verify the the tape >device can read the block size specify in TAPEDEV & >LTAPEDEV for a success restore. How do i verify the block >size that a tape device permits?

Good question. I've always tested to make sure the block size works. If you pick a block size the tape doesn't support, I think it's just ignored.

>2) I have the following portion found in my online.log. >What does the "Process exited ..." means? It is imcomplete >backup? What would the cause be?

>13:50:05 Logical Log 696 - Backup Completed
>13:50:05 Process exited with return code >133: /bin/sh /bin/sh -c /informix/etc/
>log_full.sh 2 23 "Logical Log 696 Complete." "Logical Log >696 Complete."

Informix has the ability of calling an external program for different levels of severity. You probability don't have the ALARMPROGRAM shell variable set, so it calls the default $INFORMIXDIR/etc/log_full.sh

I wouldn't worry about this too much since you only had two logical logs with this weird return and the log says it did complete. If it continues, you might call Informix customer support and ask them.

>3) I have LTAPEDEV set to a regular unix file >at /disk1/logback. Will the file be overwrite every times >i do a ontape -a or will the file be append ? It is >alright if the file being overwrite?

It should append. I don't want to elaborate on the obvious,but if you stop the L.L. backup and restart, it will overwrite.

I do recommend whatever Logical Log backup scheme you decide on that you test your L.L. restore with that file and make sure it works.

Ed
Schaefer

Hi Schaefer,
Thanks for your advice. As for Q3, I found out from a book that say ontape -a always overwrite the same logical log file (in disk) whenever the command is performed. I tried that and it really does. That raise to another question, how do i prevent the logical log file from overwriting without modify the ONCONFIG file everytimes i need to do a logical log backup?

>That raise to another question, how do i prevent the >logical log file from overwriting without modify the >ONCONFIG file everytimes i need to do a logical log backup?

Over the years, Informix professionals have written shell scripts that control using ontape. I've written one myself. You can find others at the informix homepage.

I'll be glad to give mine to you. email me at olded@ix.netcom.com and I'll gladly provide it.

regards,

Ed
Schaefer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back