Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Questions On SMTP Logging For Exchange2003

Status
Not open for further replies.

zoeythecat

Technical User
May 2, 2002
US
Hi All,

I wanted to be able to monitor mail flow internally for troubleshooting purposes. I believe the only way for me to do this would be to turn on SMTP logging which I assume will allow me to monitor mail flow internally. Is this something I should turn on permanently or temporary? I'm reading articles that note if you do not turn this off, then performance will degrade rapidly. I'm curious how everyone else handles their environment in this regard? Could you give me some best practice feed back on this?

Thanks,
Zoey

What are you trying to achieve with the monitoring?

How long messages take to go from one server to another? Who is talking to whom?

Neill

Neill,

Thanks for replying. I should have updated this post. What I needed to do was turn on "Message Tracking" not "SMTP Logging". We just wanted to have the ability to track messages internally.

Sorry for not replying back sooner.

Regards,
Zoey

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back