Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Questions from a Vista Newbie

Status
Not open for further replies.

jshurst

Programmer
Oct 27, 2004
US
So I just installed Vista and I'm attempting to do a few things that seem to be different in XP.

1) I am attempting to modify the hosts file in C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc, however it won't let me save it. Why is that?

2) I have a Windows Server 2003 computer with shared network drives that I want to access, however I can't access them. I can connect via Remote Desktop, but not by typing "\\192.168.1.100\Share"

3) When I try to connect to remote desktop, why does it assume that the Domain that I'm attempting to connect to is the local computer?

I haven't joined this laptop to the domain and I was hoping that I wouldn't have to. Looks like it's going to be a learning curve here ;-)

Thanks in advance,

J

1. Edit a copy of HOSTS in a different folder. Rename HOSTS. Replace with the copy.

2. Is not a Vista issue. It is a server issue.

3. What other Domain could it possibly know about? And how would it be informed of this name resolution information? This same RD behavior is true of XP. You need to either make a WINS entry for the Domain member, an LMHOSTS PRE# entry for the Domain, or use the IP form.

1) Why do I have to do that to rename a file?

2) I've never had an issue with a any computer connecting to a share my server (windows or linux via samba), so I don't see what could be the problem. I find it very hard to believe that it is a server problem.

3) In RDC under XP you don't have to specify any domain, or user for that matter. This can all be done after RDC reaches the destination computer, then you type in your computer name, password, and select the domain. This is different from Vista. I don't want it to assume anything. I'm not using name resolution yet, but simply typing in the ip address. Although if you don't type in a password then it seems to go without attempting to authenticate.

Hosts Properties may be set to Read Only. Security Software (third party) may be set to block write access to the file. You may need to adjust the Vista Security Permissions to allow you access, even to the point of using you correct username even if that name is a member of the Administrator's group and the Administrators are listed as having access.

Usually you will get a message from Vista offering some explanation as to what Vista thinks the problem is. Whether it is or not is another matter.

For #1: Because the Vista file protection system will not allow you to directly edit a critical "system" file.

For #2: Did you permit access as an exception in the Firewall rules of Vista?

For #3: If you are not using Domain names or depending in any way on name resolution but are using IPs then what is your question? I am sorry but I do not understand asking a Domain scoping question and then stating your are not making a Domain reference.

1) I guess that makes sense, but I should be able to change it as an elevated user, but perhaps I just don't understand the new security methodology yet.

2) For some reason it started working. The only thing I did was install IIS, which I don't think had an effect (or wasn't supposed to).

3) The server I'm attempting to log into is on a domain (in fact it is the domain controller), however the computer that I'm accessing it from is not a member of the domain, which is a quite common scenario - especially for laptops. However as I stated, if you just skip entering a password then it won't try to authenticate, which will force the logon box (hopefully without having a failed logon attempt).

Ah ha, I'm starting to understand this. You can change the hosts file by running notepad as Administrator, then opening the hosts file then saving it.

go into the control panel, in classic view there is network map click that and make sure in services computer browser is started and server is too

Actually, you can edit and save configuration files like HOSTS but only if the editor "Run as administrator". At least that works for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back