Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Questions about your data centers

Status
Not open for further replies.

brydar

Vendor
May 10, 2006
US
I have a few questions about rack management and how you work on servers. I work for a company that produces cooling solutions for server racks and we are running into issues with cable (hose) management. We need to figure out if it is worth our while to engineer a solution that is able to be slid out of the rack. Alternatively the solution would be to shut the server down and unhook all connections to work on it. With that in mind...

1. When you need to work on a server do you utilize the slide out feature or do you remove the server from the rack and work on it in a separate location.

2. I have noticed that the Dell 1850 and 1425 do not even come out far enough to get the cover off. Have any of you noticed the same? If so, what measures do you take to work on the servers.

3. Does anyone use any 3rd party cable management on their 1850's?

Thank you,

brydar

My .02...

If you're going to work on your server's hardware you'd better shut it down first (other than hot-swapping a drive).

Dell's VersaRails work great on my 2650s and 2850s. I can slide them all the way out and pop the top without unhooking a thing, thanks to the hinged cage on the back of the rail kit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back