Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Questions about the virtual table in CR

Status
Not open for further replies.

fbarbeite

Technical User
Dec 13, 2004
US
The data I need to access using CR is in a normalized table. In its current state, I cannot access the data I need in order to create a report. I need a table that will bring together the data in one place and in the way I need it. Rather than modify the database itself by creating a new table, I would prefer to use the virtual table capability in CR. Could someone please answer the following questions about how it works?

Is there any limitation to what the table can be and contain? What I mean is, if I can conceivably create the table in the database using SQL syntax, can I create that same table with the same syntax with CR’s virtual table?

Once I put in the syntax and create the virtual table, when I open the report at some later date will the SQL syntax and virtual table still be there or will I have to create everything all over again?

If the virtual table is still there when I open the report and reconnect to the database at a later date, will the virtual table also automatically repopulate with the new data the same way the original database tables will?

Thank you very much for your help.

Frank Barbeite

Crystal made a bad decision to use the term Virtual Table.

I assume that you're speaking of the add command object, which is basically just SQL being passed to the database.

As for what the table can be or contain, it is simply sql being passed to the database to return a single data set, so that's your limitation.

As for it retaining the data, there is an option under the File pull down to Save data with report, if this is selected, then the report will house the data from the last execution until you run it again.

Try not to think of the "virtual table" as a table so much as it is simply a sql statement returning rows .

-k

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back