Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Questions about pkgask

Status
Not open for further replies.

whn

Programmer
Oct 14, 2007
US
Hi, Experts,

Lately, I am running into some difficulties in creating a response file through pkgask.

The repsonse file is meant for a silent upgrade. So, when I tried to create this response file, the old version of that pkg is still up running on the server. But then pkgask complains that an older package is already installed on the host. That means, without remove the old package, then no way to get the new respsonse file for a silent upgrade. However, it requires a downtime by removing an old package, which customers don't like it.

My questions are:

1) Does pkgask ALWAYS require the pkg removal prior to creating an response file? Or is there a work around so that pkgask could proceed without removing the old pkg?

2) Can the pkg be redisigned so that pkgask can always proceed even if the old pkg is still up running?

Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back