Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

questions about mail setup for a frequently travelling user

Status
Not open for further replies.

PPettit

IS-IT--Management
Sep 13, 2003
US
I haven't had much experience with the finer details of email services, so bear with me.

I have a user who sets up temporary field offices all over the place on a frequent basis. He wants to use Outlook 2003 no matter which ISP he's using. We both want to configure his Outlook so that neither one of us has to change his settings each time he moves to another location and that his mail always appears to be from user@domain.com.

His normal account settings look something like this:
Account: user@domain.com
Outgoing Mail: smtpserver.domain.com
Incoming Mail: pop3server.domain.com

Unless I'm mistaken, if he has to use a different ISP (otherdomain.com) that blocks mail relaying, he would need to change his outgoing mail server to something like smtpserver.otherdomain.com. I think we've also had occasion where he could only send mail through smtpserver.otherdomain.com if he used an email address of user@otherdomain.com. As I mentioned before, I don't want that. His mail always needs to arrive at the recipient as being from his user@domain.com address.

If I were able to set Outlook to connect to our mail server via HTTP, wouldn't this solve my problem? From what I've been able to determine without having my hands on a system using Outlook 2003, I could send and receive user@domain.com mail via httpserver.domain.com even if he was using otherdomain.com for internet service. He wouldn't even need to bother with SMTP, POP3, and/or IMAP, correct?

I'm considering setting up an in-house mail server. Any recommendations regarding a mail server app that supports HTTP access (as well as SMTP and POP3) and runs on Windows Server 2003? Our ISP's current mail server only supports SMTP and POP3.

If you have an Exchange Server, you can either connect with IMAP using Outlook.
If you want to use HTTP, you need to use OWA, not Outlook.

Marc [santa2]
[sub]If 'something' 'somewhere' gives 'some' error, expect random guesses or no replies at all.
Free Tip: The F1 Key does NOT destroy your PC!
[/sub]
Don't forget to shop @ for Christmas!

Outlook Web Access ... use google

Marc [santa2]
[sub]If 'something' 'somewhere' gives 'some' error, expect random guesses or no replies at all.
[/sub]

Thanks for the response Marcs41, but the goal is to use Outlook 2003 no matter what.

That is all fine, but then you (he) need to follow the 'rules' to do so.
You cannot have Outlook 2003 have fully functional from anywhere you are on HTTP on an Exchange Server.
You will need to make some compromises.
Like I said, Outlook 2003 in IMAP mode is still Outlook 2003, and that will work from anywhere you can get on the net.

Marc [santa2]
[/sub]

We have an exchange server here at work. When I am at home, or anywhere I can access the internet. I can have access to my email. However, we are use Outlook 2000 but, I don't think that makes a difference. I don't know if this helps but, I hope it does.

JoeKane, no-one said E-Mail cannot be accessed. It is about HOW you access it.
From 'anywhere' is not so straightforward, as most ISPs require you to use THEIR SMTP server when you want to send E-Mails on POP3.
If you want full 'real' Outlook to Exchange access, you need to open some dangerous ports, highly adviced against that!

Marc [santa2]
[/sub]

Sorry, I was just trying to help. Guess, I should read the question more carefully next time.

Trying to help is the aim of this site, so that is good, but you really need to read the entire questions first

Marc [santa2]
[/sub]

To try to solve your problem right away, ask your ISP if your user can authenticate to their server. You would change his settings on the Outgoing Server tab of Internet E-mail Settings.

We use Imail Email server and that runs on Windows 2003 Server. Email can be accessed using Outlook and a Web Browser. Also, this Email server lets users Authenticate to the Outgoing server so that users can send Email from any Connection.

Here is a link to the Imail server web site. Click on Collaboration for information. You can buy it at CDW. It is much more affordable than Exchange and easier to use.

Apparently you can use Rpc over HTTP for outlook 2003 running on windows XP with Exchange server 2003. Technically it would allow you to access your exchange server from any internet connection using outlook. If you were to run outlook in cached mode this would allow your user to access his email at all times and whenever he is connected to the internet he would be able to update email & calendar items. However I haven't been able to get it working so far.

Maybe this could work for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back