Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Questions about Call Pilot Channels

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cory356

IS-IT--Management
Sep 20, 2007
US
I am relatively new to Call Pilot management, but we are having issues with voicemail calls cutting in and out. We have checked our QoS settings until our Cisco vendor is blue in the face. I ran some tests last night and I have a few questions. Here is basic information about how our system is set up. Our CP server is release 3.3.6 and our manager is 5.00.41.57. It is a card on a shelf in our switch. We have 14 remote branches all with Option 11's that have 2 bonded T1's connected back to here at our corporate office. The Callpilot server is located here at corporate in our Option 61 CS1000. We have 3 branches that are total VoIP, and 1 that is a mix. To explain how a call could get to voicemail I will say that the Corporate branch is 1 and the remote branch is 2. Customer calls the local branch 2 telephone number. These trunks are terminted to a phone that is hard call forwarded to an ACDN here at branch 1 (corporate). The ACDN is NCFW to our CallPilot access number and the ACDN is setup in CP as an SDN which points it to an auto attendant. The caller is greeted by the auto attendant and given several options of where they would like to go. The caller makes their selection and is then transferred back to an extension at branch 2. If the extension is busy at branch 2 then the call is sent back to branch 1 to go back to CP for voicemail. When they leave the message it is sometimes sounding choppy. Like they someone is getting a call waiting beep. For example if the caller is leaving their call back number. We may only get 3 digits out of it. It gives us dead air in between speech. During my tests last night I found that one basic call tied up 4 channels at branch 2. I noticed that the CP channel would become active when I was in the Auto Attendant but then would go idle once it transferred the call. It would go active again when being transferred back to voicemail. However within callpilot I went to Multimedia Monitor and saw that as soon as I hit the auto attendant I was tying up a MPC port. The MPC port stayed active for the entire duration of the call. What exactly is an MPC port? After tracing all the channels and realizing how the calls were getting two and from callpilot, I decided to call branch 2's local # get transferred to the auto attendant at branch 1. Have it send me to an extension at branch 2, get the voicemail for that extension, have the voicemail revert DN me back to my extension at branch 1 and then leave a message. While doing this I disabled every CP channel and left only one open so that I could see if the problem was with a particular channel. We have 12 CP channels, and I left myself 12 voicemails. Afterwards, I went back and listened to the quality of the voicemail, and everything sounded fine. However, on the voicemails I left I said testing one two three..etc etc and what port I was testing. I would change the volume of my voice from loud to soft to see if that had any affect. When my voice was soft I could get the call to cut in and out. I know that the more a call bounces between branch to branch tying up multiple channels call quality degrades. We had Nortel here a couple of weeks ago to discuss this issue and we told them we thought it might be a problem with the Call Volume detection within callpilot. Has anyone else had a problem with this? Nortel is saying that the Nortel GNPS group can adjust the volume detection but that it is not easily done, nor recommended due to it affecting every call. Also, they told us that Call Pilot may be doing a supervised transfer from branch to branch and that the call is basically acting like a conference call. We do not have Qsig on any of our switches and our phone network is very old. Our option 11's are either on Rls 18 or Rls 20. They mentioned the possibility of upgrading our Rls 18's to Rls 20's and turnign Qsig on to see if that would help. What I dont understand is that before we went to Auto Attendant we had all the remote branch local calls forwarded here to switchboard operators at the corporate branch. They would then direct the call to where it needed to go which is exactly what the CP Auto Attendant is doing. Nortel said the switchboard doesnt do a supervised transfer, and that they just release the call to the remote branch.

If anyone has any insight to this it would be much appreciated. This is getting to be one of the biggest thornss in my side. I get calls from employees everyday saying that they cant call our customers back because they cant understand the phone number that is on the message.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back