Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

questionalbe how to pass question 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

eastinthewest

Technical User
Jun 28, 2007
US
I was testing my knowledge tonite in preperation for my test on friday. Came across a question that HOW2PASS said was incorrect, but call me crazy, I don't think I am wrong. So here it is......

What can you use to telnet from a user's pc directly to a router?

my answer: connect the ethernet port of pc to ethernet port of router using straight through cable.

supposed correct answer: connect the ethernet port of pc to ethernet port of router using crossover cable.

Now I'm no rocket scientist, but from my expirence, when connecting unlike devices, you use a straight cable, like devices crossover cable.

this is the explanation of the question from how2pass:
You connect a pc directly to a router using a crossover. one end connected to the nic and the other to the ethernet port of router. after network configuration you can telnet to the router.

Now, am I stupid or does this make sense?

similar devices need x-over cables..... Now with that said there are several devices that auto sence....

“Reserve your right to think, for even to think wrongly is better than not to think at all”

Tek-TIP Member 19,650
[americanflag]

Hello
The how2pass answer is correct.Actually the router ethernet acts like a NIC,so you will need a crossover cable.This is where having real routers in a home labs for the CCNA comes in handy.Not touching a router and becoming a CCNA,can be very embarrassing for your first day on the job.
Regards

Be careful with that analogy, "NIC to NIC needs crossover"---switch ports act as NIC's as well---I used to use this and it screwed me up. The H2P answer is correct.

Burt

I'd think of it more like this...a router and a pc are like devices. Consider them both more like an end device. This thought will also help when it comes to dealing with routers in spanning-tree.

Here is a little chart I use -

Code:
Crossover  X  Straight ---

Cable  Router   Switch   Hub  PC

Router   X       ---     ---   X

Switch  ---       X       X   ---

Hub     ---       X       X   ---

PC       X       ---     ---   X

Of course this does not take into consideration auto sensing ports :)
Hope this helps!

E.A. Broda
CCNA, CCDA, CCAI, Network +

Like Cisco autosenses and auto negotiates (switchports) all the time, right? Ha ha. Joke...
Actually, I'm kinda serious...I can't count the number of times I have had to hard code full duplex into a switchport config because of some goofy IOS bug.

Burt

Minue, are you insinuating something? If you are, I don't appreciate it. I work pretty hard, I have a home lab, I even config routers on occasion at work. I've been through ccna courses, and have a boss who is a cisco genious. I get pretty sick of people jumping to conclusions when a test sim is mentioned. If you took the time to read and understand the context of my statement, you would see that it was being used as an evaluation of my knowledge and studying.

If your not insinuating anything then ignore what I just wrote.

Thanks to everyone else for commneting.

Eastinthewest, I don't think he was insinuating anything. You are asking a question about physical cables, which cannot be simulated---in your home lab, you could have easily answered your own question, not to mention the Cisco genius you work with that could have explained this to you.

Burt

Eastinthewest,

Exactly what Burt said!

Minue is just echoing what most of us have stated here many times - how important it is to have "hands-on" practice with real Cisco routers and switches!

As Burt said - "You are asking a question about physical cables, which cannot be simulated---in your home lab, you could have easily answered your own question

You should be TRYING EVERYTHING in your home lab - most will learn more by doing it with hands-on training. I have always said that people who want to study for the CCNA need to read and then DO IT on their own lab :)

Minue (I am sure) was just asuming that you did not have a lab to test it on since this would be easy enough to check out yourself!

E.A. Broda
CCNA, CCDA, CCAI, Network +

Interstingly, 2 qestions of how cable connections were in the 640-801 exam I wrote on 26th July. Also remember the rollover - it was on the PC to Router console as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back