Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Questionaire help needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

mcelligott

Programmer
Apr 17, 2002
US
Hello,

I have developed a questionaire for a group of our employees to use for testing a new product we will be purchasing. There are several parts to the product so I have made questions for each part of the product they are evaluating.

The main form allows them to choose the part of the product they want to evaulate. As soon as they choose the part of the product from the drop down list, the questions specific to that part of the product appear in the subform.

The problem that I have run into is that I have a seperate table set up for their responses (since multiple people will be testing each part). When I attempt to add that table into the subform's record source, the questions no longer appear.

When they select the part of the product to evaluate in the main form, I have an after update event running a query to create records for each of the questions in the responses table for them to make responses (using a unique ID).

Any thoughts on how I can get the questions to appear again with the blank spaces for the answers in the responses table?

Here is the record source information from the subform:
Code:
SELECT Tests.[Action Tested], Tests.[Test Date], Tests.[Tested By], Tests.[Actual Result], Tests.Comments, Tests.[Pass or Fail], Actions.ID, Actions.Script, Actions.Action, Actions.Data, Actions.Path, Actions.[Expected Result]
FROM Actions INNER JOIN Tests ON Actions.ID = Tests.[Action Tested];

I'm guessing you need to be using a LEFT or RIGHT join rather than INNER join in this case.

Because you're basically wanting to show the current questions, and any answers given by that person, I'm guessing? Or something like that? So if no answers, then the questions won't show either - with an INNER join.

So in the above query, it'd be a RIGHT join, I believe.

kjv1611,

Thanks. That is what I was looking for.

I do have another question though. Only the first question appears even though there are spaces for each question created in the query. I checked the testing table and the query that creates the space for answers created a record for each question.

Any thoughts on this?

Bob

Which of the items in your record source is for the questions, or is that within the Actions.Script field?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back