Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Question with switching primary HDs. 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

malveille

Technical User
Nov 2, 2003
US
I'd like to switch my primary HD from an ATA one to a SATA one in windows XP. I know how to make it my boot drive, but if thats all i do, all my drive associations are still with my old HD (called C:), for my third party software. Is there any easy way to switch which drive is called C:, and would that solve it? (I've set up the new HD to be fully bootable, and if i were able to rename it C: i think i'd be set, as all the programs would run off of this drive now)

If i can't do that, is there any way to change all the associations with C: to another drive letter?

Thanks for any help

Try: Control Panel => Administrative tools => Computer Management => Disk Management.

Good Luck §;O)

Jakob

Make partition on your new SATA (Primary) with
your prefered size .Give it a drive letter d: e: f: etc.
Use the "file and settings transfer wizard" to
backup your files on old HDD to a new folder on your
new SATA .

Disconnect your old HDD leaving just new SATA .
Install a new fresh XP on existing partition on the SATA .
Use the "file and settings transfer wizard" again
to reinstall settings an files .

SYAR

Syar, I used the "file and settings transfer wizard"

As it was collecting my files and settings, it gave me sever errors that it could not copy files. Some were in the C:\windows\system32\config directory (system.log, software.log, default.log, security.log and thier corresponding subdirectories), and some were in the c:\documents and settings\user\ directory (several .dat files). Can i copy these files manually later?

Also, Jakob, The problem with that utility, is i can't rename drives which are boot drives or drives that contain page files. :-/ Any way around this you know of?

You might be better off if logged on as another user than the one c:\documents and settings\user\ you are "backing up" to the transfer folder because of file access restrictions .
Why not create a new "dummy user" with admin privs .
The .dat files are system settings / registry etc .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back