Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Question regarding VNC

Status
Not open for further replies.

ottge

Technical User
May 2, 2005
US
Hello,

I would like to establish a connection between machines which are located off-site from each other. I am using RealVNC on both, and have the server portion installed on the one which I wish to log into. I realize that I have to utilize the external IP address for the computer that I want to control, which is assigned by the ISP of the network connection that the computer is connected to. However, this IP address is dynamic, and may change frequently, such as if the computer is turned off or needed to reboot. I would like to know how I could maintain a connection through RealVNC to this computer if the IP address changes, rather than having to find out manually by making a visit to the machine personally. I've heard about DNS forwarding, but know very little of this. Thanks for any help in advance.

What you may want to do is setup dynamic DNS (DDNS). These links may help,

DDNS
What's DDNS ERROR: Remote Security Gateway domain name problem ... What's DDNS. The DDNS (Dynamic DNS) translates a dynamic IP address to a static hostname. ...
- Similar pages

Troubleshooting DNS
References, What's My IP, VPN Flowchart, VPN Solutions, Diagnosis Tools ... Under the following situations you may want to reinstall the DDNS in a Windows ...

Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
How to Setup Windows, Network, VPN & Remote Access on

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back