Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Question Regarding the Distribution and installation of an Excel AddIn 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

cmahon

Programmer
Sep 25, 2003
IE
Hi,

I have a question regarding the distribution and installation of an Excel AddIn.

We have a Document Management System in place for Word documents which is basically controlled by a macro and a few ActiveX exes that are included in the macro as references - this works fine for us at the moment.

What we would like to do now is to extend this functionality to allow excel spreadsheets to be saved into the Document Management System. I have created the Addin as a .xla and I have also updated a couple of the ActiveX exes to cater for spreadsheets. However, when I try to test this on other machines I am getting some weird behaviour, basically the macros in the xla wont run. If I reboot the machine, however, then everything is fine and the xla macros runs as intended.

So my question is - should a reboot really be necessary when I try to distribute and install the xla and the ActiveX exes? Is there a best practice for distributing these types of files?

Any tips / suggestions will be greatly received and rewarded!!

Thanks

cmahon

<<If I reboot the machine, however, then everything is fine and the xla macros runs as intended.>>

Is "everything is fine" from then on, or do you have to go through the reboot every time (Windows session)?

If it just the first time then put an error trap in the code where it fails with a messgage saying "Some explanation - everything will be ok from now on - please reboot"

HTH Hugh

Thanks for your response.

I only have to reboot once, every time I login into the machine from then on is fine. The problem only occurs after I have copied the updated ActiveX exes and the .xla onto the client machines. I might try putting some code in to force a reboot after the program has copied in the new files.

I expect the problem occurs because the ActiveXs are not registered before use. When you use them for the first time they self register.
You may be able to register them manually before use using the Regsvr32.exe utility program

This link may be useful
HTH Hugh

Hi Hugh

You were right about the registering of the ActiveX components - I feel very silly for not having thought of that. It's working fine now when installed on new machines.

Thanks for all your help.

cmahon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back