Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Question regarding remote connection to dvr

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ntelos

Programmer
Jan 4, 2010
GR
Hello there,

I work in a company with a local network. Our server and network users are connected to an IP for example: 10.0.0.3 and i have dvr to 10.0.0.40 for example. I can login if i am inside the area of local/wireless network.

But if for example i go to home and i need to access the dvr to 10.0.0.40, how can i do this? Do i need a special software? To know a general IP, connect to it and then to dvr IP?

Please let me know how to do this, if possible.

Thank you in advance

On the local network, a firewall is not blocking your access to any of the hosts on the network, therefore you can access the ip address. From outside the network, a firewall is preventing people from accessing computers/devices inside your network. You would have to ask the IT guys/network administrator to open up the firewall to allow access from outside to the DVR. They would have to assign an external ip address that translates over to the internal ip address for it to be accessible. They will likely not want to do this for security reasons.

Maybe they could put the DVR in the DMZ of your network.

Another method would be to give you some type of VPN to connect to the internal network and then you would be on the inside of the network even though you are at home. You could then access the internal device.

"Living tomorrow is everyone's sorrow.
Modern man's daydreams have turned into nightmares.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back