Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Question regarding Nesting ReportNet Tabular models

Status
Not open for further replies.

MacLeod72

Programmer
Jan 17, 2002
US
Hello All-

I am new to Cognos ReportNet and am having an issue with creating a tabular model. Essentially, I need to create 2 sub-queries and join the results. In SQL, I would create a query like:
Code:
SELECT
    T1.KEY_VAL,
    T1.F1,
    T2.F2
FROM
    (
    SELECT
        KEY_VAL,
        SUM (F1) F1
    FROM
        X
    GROUP BY
        KEY_VAL
    ) T1
INNER JOIN
    (
    SELECT
        KEY_VAL,
        AVG (F2) F2
    FROM
        Y
    GROUP BY
        KEY_VAL
    ) T2
ON
    T1.KEY_VAL = T2.KEY_VAL

I tried to accomplish this in ReportNet by creating a tabular model (TAB) that contained 2 other tabular models (T1 and T2). I created T1 and T2 to do the appropriate summarization, and put a filter on TAB [T1].KEY_VAL = [T2].KEY_VAL.

This creates a cross-product between the T1 and T2 which I assume will be filtered after the cross-product is created. I think that this process will be very slow, and I am trying to avoid using Tabular SQL to perform this.

Is there a way to make ReportNet perform sub-queries without cross-products?

Thanks!

--Rob

It seems like you're trying to do this in a Report Studio report. If you have access to Framework Manager, you should try creating Query Subjects based on the 2 subqueries--the good thing about Framework Manager is that you can type in SQL. You can then specify the join between the 2 Query Subjects. You can also specify how aggregation is done in your FM model. I hope this helps.

Without access to Framework you are better off using Tabular SQL. It is the only way that I have found to be able to control your data properly. I too am new to Cognos and have found that tabular SQL is the only way to get away from Cogno's inherit action of = joins when letting it creating the links between tables.

Best of luck to you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back