Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Question regarding Login

Status
Not open for further replies.

desNotes

Programmer
Jul 12, 2004
I am new to Linux and am in the process of setting up a File/Print server in my home network using Tao Linux. Since this computer is behind a firewall I would like to bypass the login and password during startup. Is there a file I can just enter my root login and password so when the computer reboots it will bypass the login section?

TIA,

desNotes
destubes@tampabay.rr.com

Actually, set everything you want to start at boot up in whatever run level you boot into. There is no need to ever login unless you need to admin the server locally. The only thing that loads after you login is the desktop environment (or shell depending on the run level) but all the servers you had running at boot up are already doing their thing. The only way I know of doing what you want is booting into single user mode and that won't work because no network stuff gets loaded.

I guess RhythmAce answered appropriate to your question, but if you really need a loginless login, you may replace
/sbin/getty
in /etc/inittab by
/bin/bash
as login, and you don't need a password (and nobody else, able to access the console manually).

But who is the user in that case? I guess root.
Do a 'whoami' to find out.

seeking a job as java-programmer in Berlin:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back