Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Question re IS/IT Strategic Policy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 13, 1999
MT
Hi everyone!

Recently I saw a detailed job description for a Network and Information Systems Administrator post and noted among the list of responsibilities the following:

Derive, implement and maintain an IT/IS strategy and policy for the company.

To implement and maintain I quite understand but to derive? What exactly are they meaning here? To create such a policy?

Any comments would be appreciated.

Thanks!

To derive the strategy an policy would be to create the policy.

Denny
MCSA (2003) / MCDBA (SQL 2000)
MCTS (SQL 2005 / Microsoft Windows SharePoint Services 3.0: Configuration / Microsoft Office SharePoint Server 2007: Configuration)
MCITP Database Administrator (SQL 2005) / Database Developer (SQL 2005)

My Blog

But shouldn't this be the work of the CIO to derive/create the policy?

My comment on that is that traditionally the CIO/CEO/CSO/CFO want the worker bees to provide them with the document, and they will sign it.

Especially if the Cxx person did not come up through the ranks of IT and therefore, would not be up to speed on all the issues.

--------------
Good Luck
To get the most from your Tek-Tips experience, please read
FAQ181-2886
As a circle of light increases so does the circumference of darkness around it. - Albert Einstein

How large is the company? A small to mid-size company may only have a CEO/President, and some Directors for example. In that case the Network Admin may be the most senior IT person. There may be no IT "Executive".

_____
Jeff
[small][purple]It's never too early to begin preparing for [/purple]International Talk Like a Pirate Day
"The software I buy sucks, The software I write sucks. It's time to give up and have a beer..." - Me[/small]

But shouldn't this be the work of the CIO to derive/create the policy?
The company I'm at now, does not have a manager. There is a VP of IS, but he's also part owner and has a very limited understanding of IT. The department collectively (there's 4 of us) creates policies and he just signs off on the ones he likes or takes them down to HR for review/change.

"If I were to wake up with my head sewn to the carpet, I wouldn't be more surprised than I am right now.

It's a govt agency with circa 50-60 employees. They do however have a CIO and that is why I found such a responsibility i.e. of creating an IT/IS strategy policy strange. To create other policies such as an Information Security I would understand but a strategic policy?
Thanks guys for all your comments!

Yeah, normally it would be the IT Director, CIO, or CTO who makes the calls with regards to strategy. They would (hopefully) have input from the senior technical resources, but those resources shouldn't be determining the technical direction of the organization.

Of course, that could just be a sign that the CxO/Director doesn't know what they're doing, and they want someone to do their job for them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back