Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Question on using HAWKEYE Job Explosion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ju5

Programmer
May 25, 2007
PH
We have Hawkeye 9.0 installed in our AS400 and I'm currently using it to study the job flow during a batch job.

I've been studying the EXPLODED file that is generated when Building a x-ref. I'm not sure if my understanding of the EXPLODED is correct but it looks like Hawkeye reads a program and checks if each word in the program has a corresponding obj. If it does then Hawkeye continues with the explosion. Is this correct?

Here's the scenario:
I have a daily batch job that calls a RPG program.
The RPG program has an internally described table called TAB1 which contains the values Fruits and Veggies.
There is a CL program called Fruits that calls another program.
At no point in the RPG program does it call the Fruits program.

According to the EXPLODED spool file, once the RPG program is called it will then call the Fruits program.

Does this mean that the jobs really call Fruits or is it just the function of HAWKEYE? Any idea on how to avoid it?

Did the program at any time in the past call the Fruits program? If so, you need to refresh the cross-reference. We have it scheduled to run once a week.

-- Francis
I'd like to change the world, but I can't find the source code.

It never has before. Is there a setting I need to change in HAWKEYE so that it won't explode into programs that are not called?

A job explosion will show all nested levels by default:

Code:
 DSPJOBEXP                       Job Explosion                       X-ref lib  
                                                                     HAWKEYE    
 Type choices, press Enter to display.                                          

Program name . . . . . . . .   ARU160CL       name, generic*, *ALL           

Library  . . . . . . . . .   OBJECT         *ALL, name, *CURLIB            

Object type  . . . . . . . .   *PGM           *PGM, *MENU, *MODULE,          
                                                 *QRYDFN, *SRVPGM...            

Report detail  . . . . . . .   *SEMI          *SEMI, *BASIC, *FULL           

Max. levels  . . . . . . . .   [b]*NOMAX[/b]         *NOMAX, 1 - 999                

Command                                                                        
 ===>                                                                           
 F3=Exit            F4=Prompt                F5=Refresh          F8=Work with   
 F13=Submit         F14=Submit panel         F22=History         F24=More keys

Change Max. levels to something like 2.

-- Francis
I'd like to change the world, but I can't find the source code.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back