Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Question on restoring a backup

Status
Not open for further replies.

Camper66

Technical User
Jul 25, 2008
CA
Hi,

I am a new user and I would very much appreciate your help in restoring some data.

I have a backup from an MSSQL Server 2000 database created from another computer. The original database is now non-existing.

I hope to access some of the data from that backup. I have tried unsuccessfully to restore over the sample database Northwind and I have even tried creating a new database, but with no success.

How can I access the data please?

Right click on databases in Enterprise Manager and select restore. Type in the name of the database, and select the path to the file to restore.

This should allow you to restore the database. If not what's the error message that is returned?

Denny
MVP
MCSA (2003) / MCDBA (SQL 2000)
MCTS (SQL 2005 / SQL 2005 BI / SQL 2008 DBA / SQL 2008 DBD / SQL 2008 BI / MWSS 3.0: Configuration / MOSS 2007: Configuration)
MCITP (SQL 2005 DBA / SQL 2008 DBA / SQL 2005 DBD / SQL 2008 DBD / SQL 2005 BI / SQL 2008 BI)

My Blog

How was the backup created? Did you do a SQL Server native backup (BACKUP DATABASE), did you use a third-party product to do the backup (LiteSpeed, Backup Exec), or did you just make a copy of the data & log (.mdf, .ldf) files?

If the first two, you need to do the restore using the same method. If the last one (copy the files), you may have a problem. First try attaching the files (see the Books Online for directions). If that doesn't work, then the database was not offline when the files were copied/backed up and you cannot restore data/log files if the database was in use when the copies/backups were made. Again, this only applies to copying/backing up the files themselves.

-SQLBill

The following is part of my signature block and is only intended to be informational.
Posting advice: FAQ481-4875

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back